Search about cats

A Guide to the Cat Mind

I am a pet owner. I have owned just about every normal pet, from hamsters, to turtles, and a cat and dog. Therefore I feel somewhat marginally qualified to write about the inner-workings of the feline population. I owned my cat for 18 years and watched her be pampered way beyond reason. My mother used to cook her liver, sautéed in butter and seasoned just right. It was a meal fit for a, qu...well a cat.

Anyway, as part of a series of articles that peer into the mind of various members of the world's inhabitants, I though I would pay homage to the untold millions of cat owners and see if I could strike a common chord. So, in no particular order, here are some thoughts on that purrfect animal:

  • As kittens, they are as about as darn cute as anything ever placed on earth.
  • As adults, they can still be as cute as a kitten or as dangerous as a deranged puma, depending on their mood.
  • If they could talk they might say: "Attention everyone. I own this place and you people too."
  • They get to choose when to be social and when to be loners.
  • There's nothing better than a good scratch on the ole scratchin' pole.
  • They spend an inordinate amount of time licking every possible area they can reach.
  • They will cough up anything at any moment and then go back to licking themselves.
  • They will, for no apparent reason, begin to play with something and then stop as if a switch was turned off.
  • They are fearful of any sudden movements, even by their owner. (see below)
  • They don't believe they have an owner. Rather, they have a caretaker or servant.
  • They get fur-balls and are proud enough to cough them up to show you.
  • If they catch a mouse outside, they will bring it in as if to say, "Look what I can do."
  • They are suspicious of all other living things and will crouch down and watch them for hours.
  • They will hiss or claw at anything unfamiliar as a sign of saying, "I'm here and your not."
  • They can lap up any liquid with a seemingly motorized tongue.
  • They can be easily spooked and will leap an improbably height when startled.
  • They spend a lot of time sleeping in preparation for their next big adventure.
  • A big adventure, for them, might be eating and more licking.
  • They think they're cute when they rub up against our legs and purr. And they are.
  • They aren't thrilled about baths and water in general.
  • Did I mention they really, really enjoy licking and sleeping?

That's enough for this round. If I can think of any more I will do so in a follow-up article. For now, I have to see why my cat is making a whining sound in the kitchen. Could it have something to do with feeding time? Or does she have another terrific fur-ball to share with me. I wonder...

Jeffrey Hauser was a sales consultant for the Bell System Yellow Pages for nearly 25 years. He graduated from Pratt Institute with a BFA in Advertising and has a Master's Degree in teaching. He had his own advertising agency in Scottsdale, Arizona and ran a consulting and design firm, ABC Advertising. He has authored 6 books and a novel, "Pursuit of the Phoenix." His latest book is, "Inside the Yellow Pages" which can be seen at his website, [http://www.poweradbook.com] Currently, he is the Marketing Director for [http://www.thenurseschoice.com] a Health Information and Doctor Referral site.

No comments:

Post a Comment