Search about cats

The Story of Walker - Alias Kitty Kitty - Alias Prince

I lost a good friend this past week. Walker, my cat went on to his next life. I think if you read this story, you'll also come to learn about a special cat - and in the process - maybe learn something about yourself. So if you can take a few minutes from your busy lives, I'll tell you part of his story that I was privileged to share.

I guess you'd say Walker came from humble beginnings. It all started over two and a half years ago when I was walking the path down below my home and along a creek. My neighbor Janie and I had started trying to walk the 4-5 miles several times a week and this was a typical summer morning - or so I thought.

We were briskly walking down the path about 1.5-2 miles from the house when up ahead about 75 yards I saw what appeared to be a cat emerging from the woods along the path. To my surprise, he turned onto the path and headed our way. I remember thinking, "How strange. That cat should be headed the other way if he's a stray or even if he isn't, it was very un-catlike behavior."

But, he kept coming toward us as we approached him. At some point, Janie saw him too and we both just looked at each other with a, "What is he doing" kind of look. Finally we stopped as he was only 15 feet away. But, he kept walking right up to my feet, looked up at my eyes and rolled over onto his back baring his belly and rolling onto my shoes.

I think it was love at first sight for both of us.

Both Janie and I petted him and he continued to roll on our shoes. I just figured he was a very friendly cat and lived in one of the houses somewhere near. Janie and I said goodbye to him and continued our walk. As I glanced behind us, I realized he was following us. We walked another 25-50 feet when there beside the walking trail, but tucked back into the woods, was a cardboard box with the name Prince scrawled on the top, an empty paper bowl and a torn T-shirt. The box also held a few bits of dry cat food. We knew then that this was no stray; someone had abandoned him in the woods.

By now he had caught back up to us and was rolling on my feet again. I looked at Janie and said "We can't leave him out here." We tried picking him up but he was a little unsure of that and I realized we weren't going to be able to carry him home. So, I asked Janie to stay with him and I'd run back and get my car. I remember thinking on the way home, "what am I going to do with a cat?" But, there was no doubt that I was going to take him in. Like I said, it was love at first sight.

I got the car and raced back to Janie. I didn't have a cat carrier but I did have a blanket I thought we could wrap him in until we got home. It was at this point we learned the one thing in life that Walker hated. And, that was getting into and riding in a car. He screamed all the way home even inflicting a scratch on Janie on the way. When we got home, I was trying to figure out how I was going to get this cat into my house without him taking off. Janie had a cat carrier in her house so she got that and we put a small can of cat food into the carrier and Walker walked right in. It was also the last time he ever walked into a carrier as he took to associating them with car rides.

And, so I walked into my home carrying a full grown cat that I had just found by the side of the woods knowing I had to explain why he was there to my two Shih-Tzu's - Max and Bucca and to my wife who was at work. I took Walker to the basement first because I didn't want him upset with the dogs and vice-versa. Plus, I didn't know if he had anything that could harm the dogs. I called my wife and told her. She remembers me telling her how cute he was and how I think he had a new home. I then called and made a vet appointment to get him checked out.

It turns out someone had taken care of him at one time. He was de-clawed (not a nice thing to do) and neutered. And, he was in good health. Everyone at the vet's office marveled at how good looking he was and how friendly. They couldn't believe someone had dumped him.

We'll never know the story of why but somehow he found me and that was all that mattered to both of us.

I changed his name from Prince, which had been written on the box to Walker. It seemed more appropriate considering how he walked into my life. The truth is he never answered to Walker or Prince. He seemed to like it when we called him Kitty-Kitty.

But, I never really needed to call him often. He'd just show up by my side. He'd say hello to visitors, never hiding. And, he was good with children, other pets and anyone or thing that came into his circle. But, he'd walk and climb over people to come and nuzzle against me. We often exchanged head butts. It was sign of affection on his part and something special that was only between the two of us.
Over the next two and a half years, Walker continued to amaze me with his love and specialness. You hear that cats are aloof and don't show love like dogs. Well, I can tell you that wasn't the case with Walker.

He was amazingly patient with Bucca who was just a puppy when they met. Bucca would jump on Walker and Walker would play and roll around with him. Only a couple of times did he show his annoyance with a little nip but Bucca and he would be back at in a couple of hours. Max and Walker seemed to have a mutual admiration. They didn't really play too much together. But, Walker would frequently tease and race Max up and down the stairs. And, Max loved to pretend to stalk Walker creeping on him from behind until he could pounce. Of course, every time he pounced Walker was long gone as he always saw him coming.

Somewhere along the line, I got all three of my pals into the habit of what I called "cocktail hour". Since I work from home, I've always tried to have a snack and some wine ready when Joann comes home from work around 5:30pm. Often it's just cheese and crackers but sometimes it's more elaborate and the animals got to know my schedule. They knew that anytime from 4:30 to 5pm I'd head down from my office to start cocktail hour. They love that time of day because they get treats and they just seem to enjoy the ritual.

Anyway, I can set my watch by them appearing in my office around 4:30 to let me know it's about time to stop working. Often I'd still be working on a project and I'd have to pet them and let them know I was running late.

About a year ago, Walker got smart and realized that somehow my right hand moving the mouse or painting with a digital pen had something to do with my quitting work. So, he began head bumping my right hand - hard! I laughed the first time he did it and I continued to the last time he did it this past week. Sometimes I really need to finish the job but no amount of discussion or sternness with him got him to stop the head butting of my hand. I think it was his way of saying, "Come on...it's our time now." I always eventually gave up and went downstairs with both dogs and cat surrounding me every step of the way.

I could tell you more stories but perhaps it's better to end with what I'll call the big picture. Walker walked into my life at a time when I was feeling pretty badly about myself. I had gone through a number of very painful years both personally and physically and my father had passed away just a few months before.

When Walker arrived I knew somehow that he had chosen me for a reason. It was always quite clear that he was "my cat" and he loved me unconditionally. I came to love living with him and I know he felt the same way about me. In the past half dozen months I have felt better than I have for years and I've learned to let go of the pain of the past. Maybe Walker knew that and he knew his job was done here.

Saturday afternoon he was lying on top of one of my work benches in the basement as I was trying to trim some photos. It had become his favorite perch. I say trying to trim photos as he wanted to play and, of course, I stopped and got his favorite scarf and made it dance so he could pounce on it. We played for a while and then I went back to trimming. He continued to try and grab pieces of paper as they fell from the trimmer. Suddenly he gave a strange meow that was somehow muffled. When I looked at him (he was only inches away) I saw that he was on his side and not moving. As I touched him I knew that he was gone. I couldn't believe it and I called for Joann to come and check with me. I was devastated and didn't understand how he could be so healthy and gone in seconds.

After grieving for a while and hoping it was somehow not true, I called my friend Stephen who has 35 acres nearby and I knew would provide a burial space. He did much more than that. When we got there he had made a monument out of beautiful stone from his property. Joann and I both inscribed the stone - Joann with his name and date. I only added three initials---H.F.M. He found me.

Over the last few days I realize he left me with one last lesson that I need to take to heart. Life really is too short and if you love someone, make sure you tell them and show them.

Walker would like that.

©2007 Bob Poole - All Rights Reserved
Poole Consulting Group
The Sales & Marketing Guru™
31 Bryant Drive
Perkasie, PA 18944
215-258-3405 - office
215-258-3406 - fax
http://www.PooleConsultingGroup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment