Search about cats

Cat Races: And They Are Off

Welcome to the daily event in my household known as cat racing. I have three cats but, two of them are highly competitive and have evolved into speed demons. I should have named them after race car drivers. They take chances. They are daring. I could sell tickets. These cats can be fast and love to see who is the fastest.

It starts in the morning. The first event is the who can make it to the food bowl first race. It does not matter if I have not put any cat food in the food bowl yet. I only have to put my feet on the floor to start this exciting event. From a lazy position to a run in less than one second, both cats are racing to the bowls. One of the cats is usually faster than the other but, sometimes, the slow one will pull a surprise cut off maneuver. She will fly through and around the legs of chairs, the table and astoundingly beat the faster cat to the bowls. If luck is on her side, sometimes the faster cat goes sliding right by the food bowls and the slow cat wins by default. She is so proud.

The next event is the water bowl race. This is more of a sprint, since the water bowl is close to the cat food bowls. The faster cat usually makes a hasty dash and wins but, occasionally, the slow one will pull a power move and leap over the other cat, to win. The fast cat has been known to hop in this event also, which leaves me laughing. She will do one long hop, like a rabbit, to the water bowl. The slow cat is usually so amazed by this, she can only look stunned. I have two water bowls for them but, they have a favorite bowl. Reaching it first, is the prize. I guess the satisfaction of drinking from it first is like catching a canary.

The next race is the litter box run. All of that water that the cats drank seems to kick in at the same time, in both cats. This competition is a bit fierce. These cats insist on using the same litter box. I could have five litter boxes out and they still would use the same one. At the same exact moment, both cats start walking slowly to the litter box, then notice that the other is headed in the same direction. They both begin trotting, then break into a run. The fast cat usually leaps into the box, sending cat litter flying and scattering dust into the face of the slower cat. The slow cat gives a sour look and begins to do a major stare down at the other cat. Once in a while, a hiss or growl is exchanged but, usually, the stare down contest is lost and the slower cat retreats and waits her turn. Whew.

The next race is the beat the cat owner back into the room race. This race starts when I leave the room that the cats are in and go somewhere else in the house. The cats come to find me. As I start to go back to the original room, the cats turn and start running. They are off! Sometimes I walk too fast and step on the slow cat. The fast cat tries to predict what room I am going to. This is fun because it is a fair race for the slow cat. If I choose a room that the fast cat is not already in, the slow cat wins. The fast cat saunters in, after some time has passed, trying to act casual and admits defeat. The look on the slower cats' face is priceless. Much like the early bird getting the worm. The prize is being closest to me. Aw!

The final race that I will tell you about is the leap on the clean sheets first race. My cats do not sleep with me but, they like to be the first to leap on the clean sheets immediately after I change them. They know that I am going to cover the sheets with a blanket, so they have to be quick. It is also no fun for them to land on the bed together. One cat must always beat the other onto the clean sheets and it is a standing rule that the loser does not jump on the bed with the winner. As I finish changing the sheets, each cat takes their position, ready to leap. This is a strategic and calculating race that defies gravity. When the cats make their leap attempt, the winner lands on the bed and the loser has to freeze, turn in mid air, after seeing the winner land and land back on the floor. On their feet. They always do. I am always amazed and impressed by this highly gymnastic leap, freeze and turn. It gets a dazzling ten rating from me every time. I do not see how even a cat can bend like that. The winner in this race sits proudly on the clean sheets until I shoo her off. I love cats. Cats are crazy.

Bridgitte Williams is a cat owner. Her web site can be visited at http://beep.com/members/bridgitte/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment