Search about cats

Here a Kitty, There a Kitty, Everywhere a Kitty, Kitty

There is no shortage of fur at our house this winter. At the end of January two large empty cat crates arrived via FedEx on my front stoop. One week later, Sunshine and Shadow were at our front door with their suitcases in paw. They are my Mom's Maine Coon cats staying with us while she is in Florida selling and packing up her home. As difficult as it was for my Mom to leave her fur kids behind, she knows they are in the best of hands. She said, "I feel like I am sending my kids off to college." Fortunately for us, our new college roommates do not party late and have been respectful and well-behaved.

You might be wondering what my husband thinks of all this. Well, he didn't have much say about our new tenants. He knows how I love animals and he also knows not to argue with his mother-in-law. That settles that.

The day before Sunshine and Shadow arrived I had a heart to heart talk with Dani, our four year old cat. I asked her to please be kind and not tease the two big fur balls. I explained she had the advantage of being on the outside looking in (to their crates). She purred lovingly beside me and seemed to understand. Dani has always been a happy-go-lucky, patient cat so I was not worried. Once the new arrivals were safe and content in their new homes, I let Dani out of her temporary prison in our bedroom to investigate. Her legs, usually 4 inches long, were now 1-inch long as she tip-toed ever so lightly and slowly towards Sunshine and Shadow. Her tail puffed out twice its size as her back arched toward the ceiling. She should have been in the ballet with all her deliberately precise moves. A low growl came from deep within her, letting each of the new arrivals know she is boss and it will remain that way. Once she had her say with them, her work was finished and she sauntered off for a nap.

Maine Coon cats are a beautiful sight to behold. They look rather immense with all their thick fur. Sunshine (male) weighs 16 pounds and Shadow (female) weighs 12 pounds which is typical for the breed. Their tails are long and bushy and big enough to use as a feather duster. Their ears are heavily furred on the inside and tips and their eyes are big and round and draw you right into their souls. Maine Coons are the oldest breed in North America and yes, as you might have guessed, the state of Maine is the state they originated from. They are described as big, gentle, good-natured goofs and that describes Sunshine to a tee. Shadow on the other hand (or should I say paw?) is shy. Males tend to be the clowns and females tend to retain their dignity.
Sunshine adapted well to our home in no time at all. As I sit at my desk and write this month's column he is busy chattering away to me. I think he is adding his two cents to this story. The only sound I hear out of Shadow is a hiss when Frankie, our wiener dog, approaches her crate. She is not fond of Frankie, but Frankie continues to put her best paw forward and hopes Shadow will like her back.

Frankie is falling head over paws in love with Sunshine. I need to remind her that Sunshine is a cat and dogs do not fall in love with cats. She pays no attention to me. At night as I read in my big red chair in our living room, I let Sunshine out to look around. Frankie shivers and shakes with delight. Her ears tweak to full alert as she hustles her way over to the large handsome beauty. It has been amazing to watch her get up on her back legs and attempt to walk (she is paralyzed). It is a very wobbly "walk," but none the less, she is attempting to use her limbs. She will stand on all four legs about 30 seconds as she adoringly stares at Sunshine, her knight in shining armor. Frankie does not have any feeling in her hindquarters, but I believe it is the sheer determination of wanting to be with Sunshine that makes her use her back legs. My husband and I can't help but grin at her determination and it warms our hearts.

Throughout all the commotion from our house guests' arrival to them becoming a part of the routine, our lab Kylie seems oblivious to it all. I am not even sure she realizes the new cats are here. She spends her days in our kitchen snoring on and off and looking out the front door. If I could get inside her head and hear her thoughts I am sure she would be thinking, "So, what's the big deal?" That is easy for her to "say," lounging around on her doggie sofa and not having to help with the cat chores. Oh, to have the life of a dog or cat. Yes, that sums up my decision. I plan on being a critter in my next life.

Barbara's first chidlren's book about her paralyzed dog will be released November 2007. She writes a monthly column for the Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin paper called the Depot Dispatch. The name of her column is "For the Love of Animals." She shares her home with her loving husband John and her current spiritual fur companions, Kylie, Frankie and Dani. Writing for Barbara is a way of sharing with others her truth and beliefs. You can visit Barbara on her website at http://www.joyfulpaws.com

No comments:

Post a Comment