People describe cats as tree climbing animals. Proailurus was the first true descendant of the cat that was found 33 million years back. Cats earlier resided in rain forests and were great hunters.
Their razor sharp claws helped them ascend deftly, hiding on trees to escape danger or climbing to wait for a prey. Climbing in other words was immensely helpful for survival and eventually became a way of life.
Domesticated cats have a general fondness for heights. A household cat will always feel very contented in an elevated part of the room be it a window perch or a high shelf. Instinctive knowledge plays an important role in verifying this standard feline desire. Cats instinctively search for hideaways, as it is their natural behavior for shelter and hunting. Do not be surprised, if a cat's eyes are seen gleaming from some corner.
Theories For Fondness Of Heights:
Below mentioned are some reasons that state why a cat loves heights:
1. Height in some way signifies the rank of a cat. If there are many cats residing in the same household, the cat who reigns the topmost perches generally governs the rest. The governing cat is factually the 'top cat'.
2. Height enables a cat to observe the surroundings effectively. The cat can thus be more vigilant about the activities of individuals and other pets. An upper position in the wild, functions as a hidden area from where the cat can hunt for its prey.
3. A cat may feel warmer, if it climbs a high place.
4. A high perch enables a cat to escape from any factor, which makes it scared or anxious.
Buy A Cat's Furniture According To Its Lifestyle:
An individual may find out a pet cat's character and personality by careful observation and accordingly select the furniture, which best suits the cat's lifestyle.
1. A brave mountain lion keen to climb an apartment perch: Younger, energetic cats' favor the highest perch one may provide preferably a ground to ceiling tree. An extremely tough mega tree is necessary for a cat, which likes to dash up the tree.
2. A temporary explorer who regularly occupies a secure middle position: Many segments between two to seven feet will suit the cat's requirements. A 39" tall curved penthouse will be suitable accompanied with an ideal observation deck.
3. A demure savanna occupant that prefers a soft floor level pillow: Older cats and those suffering from ailments will favor a comfortable pyramid bed.
Cats Survive After Falling From Great Heights:
Cats have survived falls from 32 stories. Humans die after falling from such a great height. Interestingly the rate of survival and the severity of damage were the same even if the cat fell from seven stories or from 32 stories. In fact, sometimes, the injuries were much less.
This is because cats achieve maximum speed at 60 mph or only after five stories. When a cat reaches this speed, its balancing organs become less functional. This causes the cat to relax, which distributes the collision force uniformly.
Go to Cat and Kitten Zone to get your free ebook about Cats and Kittens at Cats [http://www.catandkittenzone.com]. Cat and Kitten Zone also has information on Kittens, Cat Supplies [http://www.catandkittenzone.com] and a Cat and Kitten Forum where you can connect with others who love cats and kittens. You can Find Cat and Kitten Zone at [http://www.catandkittenzone.com]