Search about cats

The Mesmerizing Eyes of a Cat

A cat's mesmerizing eyes create the feeling that you can look deep into their soul. Have you sat and looked deep into your cat's eyes? Wondering what they are thinking or if they are trying to tell you something? I know that I have sat gazing into my cat's eyes looking for something magical to happen; searching for answers to questions like "Can you understand what I am saying?" or "Are you trying to tell me something?" Their eyes are so mysterious looking that I just feel like I am falling deep within their being as I look into their eyes.

Cat's eyes can give you signs of their current mood by the size of their pupil. When the cat's eyes are open and the pupil becomes large, the cat can be very excited or frightened. I have seen my cats' pupils become very large when they suddenly get frightened by something. The large pupils in this instance are also usually accompanied with the hair on their back sticking straight up and their tails bushed out. I will immediately try to calm them down when I find them in this state. When the pupils become narrowed, looking like slits in the cat's eyes, it could be an indication that the cat is angry or the sun is in the cat's eyes. I have watched, on many occasions, Tiggy go from being in a peaceful mood to being very angry and seeing it in her eyes. The nice calm look of her pupil as it is large turning into a very narrow slit just as she becomes irritated. Her irritation is usually the direct response from one of Cooper's momentary agitations. He really loves to get her going, and when I watch him I can see his excitement has his pupils get larger.

The pupils also change in size by the amount of sunlight that enters the eye. When the sun is bright and shining directly into the cat's eyes, their pupils will become narrow. The brighter the sunlight, the narrower their pupils will become; appearing to be the size of pinpricks. The opposite happens when there is little or no sunlight. Their pupils become large and sometimes almost spherical to allow as much of the available light to enter.

Both pupils will simultaneously be the same size at all times. When one becomes a different size it is an indication of an eye condition that can range from mild to serious. It would be good to seek medical attention to be sure that it is not serious. When the cat's eye color changes it could also be an indication of a disease and should be consulted by a veterinarian.

Another interesting part of the cat's eyes is the color. Most cats have eye colors that range from gold to greenish-yellow. I find it fascinating to look at the colors in my cats' eyes. I also find it odd that of the four cats that I have owned, the ones related to each other, have had totally different eye color from each other. Tiggy has yellowish colored eyes and Cuddles had green to yellowish colored eyes. They were sisters, yet their eye colors were different. Kittens are born with blue eyes that will change when they are between 4 to 8 weeks old. Blue eyes are also found in cats with pointed coats such as the Siamese.

Since the cat's eye is so interesting and mysterious looking, have you wondered what they see while looking through their eyes? I think that it would be interesting if we were able to look through the eyes of a cat and see exactly what they see. It would give me a different viewpoint on what I look at everyday. Did you know that your cat is not color blind? They can see colors, just not the same colors that we see. Cats can see green and blue but not red.

I still find the cat's eyes to be mysterious and amazing. I can sit for hours looking deep into the souls of my cats through their eyes. The next time you are near your cat, look deep into their eyes and see if you find something mysterious lurking there.

Sharon Cowherd maintains Caring for Your Cat, a blog about her experiences and knowledge of caring for her cats. You can read more about Sharon and her cats at [http://www.caringforyourcat.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment