Search about cats

Three Keys to Courteous Cat Walking Behaviour

You've bought your harness and leash and spent hours training your cat to accept them. Now you're ready to hit the sidewalk, proudly walking your cat. And as with dogs, there are some rules of common courtesy, common sense, and safety when walking your cat. These are my top 3 rules of cat walking, learned from experience and listening to others.

FIRST, Not Everyone Loves Your Cat

My cat was one of the first cats in my area to be walked-- this was 6 years ago--and people pointed her out, came up to her, petted her and she loved it. She now has the firm belief that everyone on every street is there just to see her and she goes up to everybody.

But, there are people with allergies, people who are afraid of cats and people who just plain don't like them.

I have learned to watch body language. If I see the person stiffen, look away, any small movement which suggests that they just want to get away from me and my cat, I hold her back.

If you can't read their reaction, or are unsure, just ask. When I've asked "Will it bother you if my cat comes close?" some people say Yes, and we hold back until they pass by. Others say no, they are mostly surprised that my cat is coming up to them.

SECOND, No One Planted a Flower Bed for Your Cat's Use

My cat was a goat in a former life. She loves eating grass and the leaves of plants. In my yard, I know what plants are there, that they are safe - or at least not fatal, and that they have no chemicals on them. Even if you are walking in your own neighborhood and you know that no one sprays toxic chemicals, do not let your cat nibble on their plants. The plants themselves could be harmful. My neighbors don't care if my cat chews on their grass, but they would be very upset if I let her gnaw away on the flowers and plants they've spent their time and money carefully nurturing.

THIRD, Carry Doggy Poop Pick-Up Bags and a Paper Towel

The cat I have now wouldn't dream of going anywhere but in her own litter box. But she thinks nothing of puking up some of the grass she just ate. If it's on the sidewalk or anywhere people walk, I clean it up. I wouldn't want to step in it, and neither does anyone else.

I have trained a cat that much preferred to do her business outside in the yard and when we went walking, she nearly always took the opportunity to do a major job, always on someone else's lawn or on the boulevard. After the first walk, and the first embarrassing surprise for me, we never again went out without the necessary supplies.

In summary, don't let your cat abuse other people's property, don't assume everyone is thrilled to meet your cat (they should be, but...), and clean up after your cat when it's necessary. Your neighbors will thank you.

I love cats and books. I have a website about harness and leash training cats http://www.catsread2.info and I have a bookstore on ebay selling used books http://stores.ebay.ca/mycatsread I have harness trained 3 cats so far, and am in the process of training a fourth.

No comments:

Post a Comment